What are peptides and how do they help you achieve a youthful looking skin?With retinol, antioxidants, AHA acids and vitamin C increasingly present in skin care products, it may seem to you that there is a new best active ingredient every month.
It is known that every season in The beauty industry has its own hit ingredient. The ingredient that raises the product to a new level and becomes in a way a "seminar paper" of scientists in the fight against aging are peptides, and in fact we have entered the era of "peptide cosmetics". You can immediately ask the two most common questions when it comes to cosmetics: What are peptides and how exactly do they work?
If you're "addicted" to cosmetics or just curious about anti-age ingredients, you've probably heard at least a couple of companies talk about the miraculous benefits of peptides in their products. These claims range from the ability to thicken the lips and lift wrinkled skin, all the way to removing dark circles and swollen eyes. Sounds pretty amazing, but are peptides in skin care really anti-age heroes or just overrated ingredients?
Can peptides really erase wrinkles? Can peptides really replace Botox? How have peptides won over cosmetics lovers around the world, what are they used for and why is it worth incorporating them into your skin care routine?
Below we reveal questions to all your answers!
What are peptides?
When we talk about peptides, we are talking about groups of amino acids that are also part of a protein. Proteins, on the other hand, are the building blocks of our body, ie tissues, and thus the skin. Just as a house is made up of bricks and binders, so the skin is made up of different peptide chains, or proteins. As proteins are the basic blocks of the skin, without peptides our skin loses firmness and wrinkles appear, texture changes and skin elasticity decreases . In addition to being essential for the structure and function of the skin, peptides are found in every human cell and often act as a biological messenger making them extremely important for the body's functioning. There are hundreds of combinations of amino acids, including peptides. Their valuable task is to make and keep the skin perfectly constructed - taut, taut skin with a uniform structure and texture.
Peptides are an integral part of the skin and one of the basic building blocks of skin essential substances - collagen, elastin and keratin. As the body produces less and less of these compounds with age, it loses the firmness and elasticity of the face and the first wrinkles appear on it. As soon as you start using peptide cosmetics, you will automatically send a signal to your skin to stop being lazy and continue to work tirelessly on the production of these three substances. Regular "peptide" care results in a toned, radiant, smooth and hydrated face without wrinkles .
In Greek, the word "peptide" means "nutritious", but in fact only a hundred of their functionality is associated with accelerated cell regeneration.
How do peptides affect facial skin?
Peptides in cosmetics are an increasing hit because they successfully work on smoothing wrinkles. Peptides increase elasticity and accelerate wound healing, and their use stimulates collagen production, muscle relaxation and wrinkle reduction. Not only do they delay the first signs of aging, but they also help with already damaged skin.
By using peptides, you can say goodbye to deep wrinkles - by constantly stimulating the secretion of collagen in the skin, wrinkles and lines will become less and less. The lifting effect and lightening of the face are an added bonus .
We owe the beauty and resilience of the skin in our youth to the strongest collagen production at that time. From the 1930s onwards and under the influence of external factors and stress, collagen production slows down a bit, but you can be sure that the amount of this specific protein in the skin starts to decline. As collagen decreases, the skin becomes thinner, more sensitive, loses elasticity and shows the first signs of aging . Just as peptides build collagen, so does collagen break down. Scientific research has shown that these accumulations of amino acids can stimulate new collagen production, but also have a positive effect on other important proteins in the skin, such as keratin and elastin. Moreover, research has confirmed that the same is true for the topical application of peptides to the skin through cosmetic products. When you apply such a specific preparation, the peptides "send" a message that collagen has decomposed and that the skin needs a new "shipment" of building material. With this completely natural mechanism, it is possible to significantly regenerate the skin, slow down its premature aging and alleviate the appearance of wrinkles and lines.
Some of the most effective natural peptides, which are also used in skin care products, are pea peptides and tripeptides. Pea peptide is of natural origin . It strengthens collagen and elastin, stimulates their further formation in the skin and stabilizes the connection between the dermis and epidermis to make the skin firmer. Tripeptides are a powerful ingredient that increases the synthesis of collagen and lumicans , which maintains the stability of connective tissue, in order to strengthen the structure and firmness of the skin. They make the skin thicker and give it a fresher look.
10 benefits of using peptides in skin care
When used in skin cosmetics, peptides fall into three main categories: signal peptides, carrier peptides, and those that inhibit nerve signals . Acting as messengers, signal peptides can trigger collagen synthesis, which in turn increases skin firmness.
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines : By stimulating collagen production, peptides can give the skin the impression of being fuller, so peptides can help restore collagen and preserve a youthful facial appearance.
- Collagen production: When collagen is broken down, peptides send a signal to our skin cells, informing them that they are producing more collagen to replace what we naturally lose as we age. Every year, collagen production declines, resulting in wrinkles, dehydration, discoloration, loss of firmness, and pale complexion.
Strengthening the skin barrier: When peptides help increase skin cells, they can also help improve the skin barrier.
- Hydration : Aging reduces collagen production, which also causes dehydration. When peptides help boost collagen production, it also boosts hydration and affects skin moisture retention.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties : The antioxidants found in peptides help soothe and soothe the skin, leading to less inflammation. So, in addition to having an enviable anti-aging effect, these effective amino acids will reduce inflammation in the skin and even out the complexion
- Tight skin: By signaling cells to produce collagen, peptides help your skin become firmer. Peptides that inhibit nerve signals for the task have a reduction in fine lines that cause facial muscle movements - in theory it's like local Botox.
- Smoothing the complexion: Increased collagen production also results in smoothing the skin, ie your skin will be smoothed and even.
- Repair damaged skin : Carrier peptides work to heal your skin from the inside out.
- Skin elasticity: Thanks to the increased dose of elastin, which the skin will start to create thanks to the peptide, your face will be firm and taut.
- Acne Prevention : Peptides also have antibacterial properties, which means they will effectively kill the bacteria responsible for the formation of unwanted acne, pimples and blackheads.
Peptides will be most effective in products such as moisturizer, serum and eye cream. Anti-age products with peptides are suitable for all skin types.
Are peptides alone enough for anti-aging care?
While everywhere in the cosmetics industry you may come across thoughts that there is one magic ingredient or group of ingredients as the perfect anti-age solution, unfortunately this is not true. There is no single solution to all the signs of aging - although we admit it would be great if it were really that simple.
This is something to remember: as there is no such thing a healthy food or dietary supplement to eat, there is also not a single best ingredient or group of ingredients. The skin is the most complex organ of the human body, so you can only imagine that its needs cannot be met by a peptide or a mixture of peptides alone.
Although peptides are not miracle ingredients, it's good to see them in skin care products, but we still have a lot to learn about how to make the best use of peptides to maximize the effectiveness of skin care products .
Most peptides function as moisture-binding agents and almost most of them have a theoretical ability of cellular communication to help the skin repair itself. These are exciting benefits, but only as long as you don’t just rely on peptides. It takes a good mix of anti-aging ingredients to keep skin smooth, firm and, yes, youthful .
No peptide acts as a botox or dermal filler to reduce wrinkles. Peptides are certainly not a topical answer for those who are afraid of needles, but the effectiveness of peptides to reduce the signs of aging certainly exists!
What are the types of peptides?
- PENTAPEPTIDES: Pentapeptides stimulate the production of new collagen and contain lipopeptide fatty acids in combination with 5 amino acids. One of the best known pentapeptides is Matrixyl. The cosmetic product that most often contains pentapeptides is an anti-wrinkle cream, because it stimulates the lower layers of the skin, which results in full and supple skin .
- HEKSAPEPTIDES : Hexapeptides contain 6 chains of amino acids, and the most effective from this group is the so-called. argireline (acetyl hexapeptide-3) because it has the ability to relax facial wrinkles and prevent muscle contraction, similar to botox. It can be applied to the whole face, because it affects the alleviation of existing wrinkles, but also prevents the appearance of future wrinkles .
- PALMITOYL OLIGOPEPTIDE: The production of collagen and hyaluronic acid in the deepest layers of the skin is the task of palmitoyl oligopeptides. It also significantly stimulates the natural production of hyaluronic acid, which is directly related to the regulation of moisture in the skin. By acting together on specific regeneration mechanisms, these peptides provide multiple help for young, full and healthy looking skin , including mature skin with visible signs of aging. In addition, this peptide boasts the effect we all need - protection from the harmful effects of solar UV radiation . Although this peptide does not alter the SPF sunscreen, it acts as an extra layer of protection for delicate facial skin.
- COPPER PEPTIDES : Copper peptides t are also known as copper gluconate. Small fragments of protein in combination with copper achieve wound healing, followed by skin regeneration . Copper peptides are ingredients in many anti-aging products, due to their ability to increase the elasticity and firmness of the skin. They also improve the texture of the skin, which then becomes supple, firm and smooth to the touch. As copper is a toxic metal, it is used on the skin only in the form of peptides that bind it.
Want to rejuvenate and strengthen your face? Reach for peptides! If you haven’t had a chance to try a cream or serum with peptides before, it’s time to correct this omission: get to know the best anti-aging cosmetics.
La PIEL products enriched with peptides:
Extremely regenerative and nourishing face mask
Extremely regenerating and nourishing cream-clay face mask for all skin types. Mineral clays kaolin and bentonite remove impurities from the pores, and the addition of plant extracts, oils, glycerin and active ingredients (ceramides, niacinamide, copper peptides, hyaluronic acid, collagen, panthenol, vitamins (E and F)) makes your skin nourished, smooth and healthy.
Moisturizing and extremely nourishing face cream
Moisturizing and extremely nourishing day and night face cream, for all skin types. High quality and advanced formula contains 6 active ingredients: niacinamide, peptides, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, retinol, collagen which give facial skin freshness and elasticity, renew it, improve tone and texture. The combination of powerful ingredients makes the cream ideal for maintaining youthful skin in their twenties, and for more mature skin it acts as an excellent anti-aging.